You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
Topics discussed in this episode include:
- Keith's articles on score
- Global vs local high scores, and how global can be done right
- The irrelevance of score in most roguelikes
- Score as a challenge / reward for riskier tactics (like multi-lining in Tetris)
- Need for clarity in score mechanics
- Achievements, trophies, conducts, and mutually exclusive score rewards
- Problems with big score values
- Some examples of games with score systems we like - Crazy Taxi, Geometry Wars, board games
- Keith sounding like an electrified cheese grater
Tune in next week for further discussion of procedurally generated, permadeath dungeon crawlers!