You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
Topics discussed this week include:
- Source and evolution of the term "coffeebreak", and its obsoleteness in the modern scene
- Roguelikes as fantasy simulators
- Why players like big games and developers like small games
- Player time and design efficiency
- Depth and variety instead of length
- Encouraging replayability, with a debate on the use of unlocks, achievements and different game modes/challenges
- The need to focus on tight mechanics and cut out the chaff
- How coffeebreaks deserve more attention and the need to champion them more
- What coffeebreaks can't do
Join us next week for a live recording from the International Roguelike Development Conference being held in London on 2nd and 3rd of June.