You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
- Thank you to rexocorum for hosting at the InitLab in Sofia, Bulgaria, and for his Friday evening talk on 'What is a Roguelike?'
- Darren's talk looking at the role of rogues in culture and how they affect game mechanics [video | slides]
- Tom's talk on applying academic outputs to game design, particularly using graph theory [video | slides]
- DarkGod's talk on building roguelike communities (and don't be an ass to your players) [video | slides]
- Rexocorum's talk on aesthetics in roguelikes, both good and bad [slides - alas, the video was lost]
- Hieroglyphika, a game with zero text
- Darren's talk on story in infinite games, with practical tips on how to make variety in roguelike stories [slides - alas, video lost]
- Kornel's talk and demo of Jupiter Hell, successor to DoomRL, which is now on Kickstarter [video]
- Constraints inspiring game design (and another reason to use ASCII!)
- An intermission from Mark Meer, voice of Commander Shepard
- Patrick's talk on the Nethack devteam and the opportunity to now get involved with Nethack development [video]
- Tom's latest work on web-brogue (US/EU servers, github) - an in-browser Brogue client, with various interesting stats [video | slides]
- Some games shown off, including Dungeons of Everchange, a new Brogue-esque with a lot of interesting content (plus the dev gave us t-shirts and mugs!)
- DarkGod's T-Engine
- The awesome indie community in Bulgaria
- Next IRDC - Poland?
- Beautiful image of roguelike developers in the wild
Join us next time for more roguelike-y goodness!
This was a really good episode. I wish I could have been there. I've been playing roguelikes for a few years, but I'm just breaking into the community. I feared that it would be a hostile community but this show, and the little bit I looked around on Temple of Roguelike has shown me this is a great community! Keep up this show and doing things like this event. I love it!ReplyDelete
What was the "Puzzle Quest" game mentioned between web-brogue and Dungeons of Everchange?ReplyDelete
That would be Oaf Match (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=swedish&id=531942024) - for some reason it's the Swedish page, but yeah :)Delete
Hey Darren, might the game you would be referencing be Out There: Omega Edition?ReplyDelete
Yup, that's the one! I enjoyed it a while, but it became very repetitive.ReplyDelete