You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
- Upcoming roguelike conferences: IRDC USA in Atlanta 30-31 May and IRDC Europe in Nottingham, UK 27-28 June.
- Go vote right now for the following games to be greenlit: Hydra Slayer, Ananias, Golden Krone Hotel.
- Congrats to Pixel Dungeon, Voyage to Farland and MidBoss for getting greenlit and to KeeperRL for releasing in early access.
- Share your deaths! For our 100th episode spectacular Roguelike Radio wants to broadcast your YASDs for the amusement of all. Record yourself retelling your tale of woe and submit!
Topics discussed this episode:
- 128 successful 7DRLs, woohoo!
- Reviews of all the 7DRLs
- Trials and terrors during the week, and the ultimate redemption of success.
- New trends this year:- Lots of 1HP RLs and games with very stripped down controls. No mobile games. Many games with an old-school / arcade-y aesthetic, and more graphical games in general. More use of Unity, partly thanks to the new Unity roguelike tutorial. More in-browser games.
- General praise for the high quality of completed games this year, with lots of stand-outs and few that are terrible or hard to get running.
- Hellion - 3D, turn-based, grid-based Star Fox-esque game (and yes, it's as cool as it sounds)
- Void Sanctum - story/atmosphere focused roguelike
- FireTail - hex-based roguelike with a lot of originality and tactical depth
- Second Stepper - semi real-time arcade game where you control two characters at once
- ducksoup dungeon - cute Gameboy-style roguelike platformer
- Into the Darkness - brain-teaser-y roguelike where battle is manipulated using a deck of cards
- RoyaLe - arena roguelike with gritty and intense battles
- Phage - hex-based possession-themed roguelike
- DUMUZID - tricky positioning-focused roguelike where you change shape as you absorb enemies
- Heart of Morning - traditional style of roguelike, but you start with awesome gear that gets degraded over time
- Seven Day Band - lets you decide mid-game how you want the different game elements and behaviours to be
- Rogue Space Marine - very detailed and balanced roguelike with ability cooldowns and fun shot-dodging
- Synthesizer - fight enemies in a giant synthesiser, coordinating your attacks to the beat
- RUNNER_PUNCHER - dash to pick up items and kill (or avoid) enemies
- MineClimeR(L) - turn-based Terraria with interesting climbing mechanics and resource use
- Quaff - brew potions to power up your pet pig as you hunt for truffles
- Rollgue - throw dice at dice
- A Rogue Harvest - farming simulator with roguelike combat
- Huge - a small hero vs a giant boss
- Sneak - stealth game with vision cones
- Combat Chess - arena-based tactics game with chess-like moves
- Fall girl - roguelite where time gets slower as you progress
- Edwin's 7DRL - possession-based roguelike with multi-tile movement
- Heavy Axe - fight foes with an unwieldy giant axe