You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
- IRDC will be happening in the USA for the first time! The International Roguelike Development Conference 2015 will take place in Atlanta, Georgia on 30-31 May, and already several big name developers have signed up. If you're in America don't miss out on this rare opportunity!
- There may also be an England-based IRDC later in the year.
- Go vote right now for the following games to be greenlit: Voyage to Farland, Hydra Slayer, Approaching Infinity, MidBoss
Topics discussed this episode:
- The Seven Day Roguelike Challenge is imminent! Developers are legally required to make a roguelike in 7 days from 7-15 March.
- Check out previous eps about 7DRLs, including our ancient but still relevant "How to Make a Seven Day Roguelike".
- Stay updated with the 7DRL mailing list, and help out with the review process by signing up to the review panel!
- What players want! And rather perfectly we have some Let's Players to give their opinions - Kawaii Dragoness, Alan of The Indie Ocean and CrazedNaly.
- Things people like about 7DRLs - inventive, short, rule-breaking, ground-breaking, focuses on individual mechanics.
- The bad - poor clarity on controls, UI mistakes, and no bloody executable!
- Things people want more of - more settings, novel changes to old mechanics like combat and the hunger clock, more use of the T-Engine or other engines that allow more polish.
- 7DRLs discussed: Infection, Conception, 86856527 (now out on Steam as 868-HACK), Mosaic, TraumaRL, DataQueen, PrincessRL, AliensRL, Ananias, Excitable Digger, Golden Krone Hotel, Vicious Orcs, Borstal (also now on Android), Rogue's Eye, Nightfall, Smart Kobold, Rogue Station, Adventurer's Guild.
- Good luck with your 7DRLs!
Naly is completely right about auto-closing of games. When I LP'd Tom Ford's Zig Climb it kept auto-closing on death and you can see me reopening it and then moving the window back into the recording frame because it never opened in the same location twice. Bah!ReplyDelete
By the way the favourite 7DRL I mentioned was Rogue Fleet, which is available (in a more polished post-7DRL form) here: https://sites.google.com/site/roguefleet/
Impressive, two Roguelike Radio Episodes within a week! Also, good work getting some Let's Players in another episode. You get a far different dialogue going from a players point of view versus that of a developers.ReplyDelete
Yeah, that was a remarkable turnaround. Recorded on Wednesday night; live on Friday.Delete