You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
Topics discussed in this episode include:
- The Angband competition started by Tony Holmes and currently run by Nick McConnell
- The weekend Brogue competition started by mikeym and currently run by Francis Garcia aka fugori
- A Brogue midweek competition started by Steven Steinke aka sorta-stupid, which used a shared save file in media res (this is different to the current Brogue midweek competition)
- The Junethack competition which Patric Mueller is involved with, including his presentation at IRDC 2012 (pdf)
- The differences in motivation and approach between Junethack and the original /dev/null Nethack competition
- The Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup tournament started by Rachel Dillon and the interplay between the development of DC:SS and the post release competitions (some stats from David Ploog)
- The ADOM "Weakest Link" competition started by Darren Grey and how the ADOM community approaches competitions in a different light (you can find more examples by searching for "weakest" in the ADOM forum thread titles)
- How player skill and enjoyment is affected by a competitive environment
- How scoring systems influence player behavior and ways of encouraging risky play
Join us next time for an episode on communities.