You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
Topics discussed in this episode include:
- Derek's experiences with roguelikes: Hack, brogue, DoomRL, Dwarf Fortress
- Level generation and procedural content in Spelunky
- Designing interacting systems and the importance of shopkeepers
- Tom Francis' Spelunky posts
- Replacing the random number god with game maker physics
- Are the best procedural games about digging into the ground looking for treasure?
- Rescuing maidens and marrying theme and mechanic
- Spelunky as My First Roguelike
- Edit: The upcoming games mentioned: Catacomb Kids, Tower Climb (Thanks to Eben)
- And more...
You may want to check out Darius Kazemi's HTML 5 port of Spelunky at Tiny Subversions, which features several articles on the Spelunky code and systems.