You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
- Why MUDs—what drove Richard to create MUD, and what drives people to play MUDs.
- The impact of MUDs on the field of video games.
- How do MUDs survive—what drives a given MUD to long-term success, or to collapse and abandonment.
- The essence of MUD—how MUDs survive as a largely text-only art form, and why text is key to their identity.
- Storytelling in and outside of MUDs—how to encourage, player driven, in-game storytelling in MUDs; how those stories develop, and how they emerge outside the formal limits of the game.
- The importance of suspension of disbelief and verisimilitude in MUDs and video-games as a whole, and how simulationism relates to those.
- The dominance of Medieval Fantasy as a setting and genre in MUDs as an art form.
- MUDs past, present, and future—how will MUDs survive and thrive in the modern-gaming landscape, and how the form may evolve with future technological advancement, looking a decade ahead.
Join us next time for upcoming episodes on AI and IRDC2017.