You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
- Is it a roguelike or a roguelite? Unexplored is real-time with the ability to pause, but is otherwise very classic in its approach.
- Discussion of the combat system (some comparisons to Dark Souls). The original Prince of Persia was a key inspiration.
- The importance of having a clean UI and the different ways Unexplored presents the player with information to make tactical decisions without losing the mystique of playing a roguelike.
- Different tricks during character creation to keep the player occupied while the game builds the dungeon in the background.
- Deliberate design decisions that departed from the traditional roguelike formula.
- Balancing the exploration and puzzle elements against combat.
- The dungeon creation system: Content Generation in Dungeon Run (PDF) – a look at the early approaches to content generation in Unexplored, back when it was called Dungeon Run 2.
- Rock Paper Shotgun: “How Unexplored generates great roguelike dungeons”
- IRDC US 2015 talk – Cameron Kunzelman, “The Artisanal Roguelike” (21:38)
- Waypoint: “Unexplored Is a Roguelike With a Satisfying Ending”
- Dark Ritual DLC announcement