You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
- Simulation goals for Dwarf Fortress, UnReal World, and Ultima Ratio Regum and for smaller games
- Reasons to make simulation-heavy games including their benefits for motivation
- Inspirations for Dwarf Fortress, UnReal World, and Ultima Ratio Regum
- Release deadlines, missing them, and the effect on bugs
- Reasons people enjoy simulation-heavy games
- Planning and developing a simulation-heavy game
- Balancing complexity in large simulations
- Cultural limits for simulations (cinematic movement---Dogme 95)
- Other ways to simulate combat
- Realistic grind vs. player fun
- Debugging large simulations
- Check out Tarn's recent GDC talk with Tanya Short on Practices in Procedural Generation!
- Also, UnReal World is now on Steam!