[This episode was recorded 7th January. My extreme apologies for the delay in publishing and the general radio silence - becoming a homeowner and many other life distractions have gotten in the way of editing and scheduling. - Darren]
You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
- A review of everyone's years
- Tales of Maj'Eyal released on Steam, with a record number of achievements for the platform
- Dungeonmans successfully Kickstartered (and now attempting to be Greenlit)
- Reaching out to people who've never heard of roguelikes
- Greenlight success for Cardinal Quest 2 and WazHack (which has now been released on Steam!)
- Mobile roguelikes! 2013 has had some big hits, including Ending, Hoplite, 868-HACK, Dungeon Plunder, WazHack.
- 7DRL explosion, and looking forward to 7DRL 2014 (8-16 March)
- 2013: The year of the Roguelike-like? Roguelike mechanics are getting combined into wider and wider bases of games. Will 2014 see more hardcore roguelike success?
- UnReal World released for free in 2013! With a deserved big expansion of fanbase.
- Everyone's plans for 2014
- Winners announced for the T-Engine Module contest and the Trials of Oryx contest
- The ASCII Dreams Roguelike of the Year poll, and some of the drama around the top 3. Check out the more interesting list of games with 10-100 votes!
- Roguelikes in the media, especially on Rock, Paper, Shotgun and IndieStatik.
- Upcoming International Roguelike Developers Conference on 9-11 May 2014 in Berlin - sign up!
- Upcoming games: FTL Advanced Edition (a free and meaty expansion to the game), Crypt of the Necrodancer, ToME Steamtech Orcs campaign, Jupiter Hell (spiritual successor to DoomRL)
- Lots of cool procedural games coming up (No Man's Sky, Clockwork Empires, Sir, You Are Being Hunted, Everquest)
- Anything we missed? Comment below!
Join us next time on Roguelike Radio for discussion of Angband, with much of the current devteam joining the show.