This is episode 85 of Roguelike Radio, where we look back on the happenings of 2013. Talking this episode are Darren Grey, Eben Howard, DarkGod and Jim Shepard. You can download the mp3 of the podcast, play it in the embedded player below, or you can follow us on iTunes.
- A review of everyone's years
- Tales of Maj'Eyal released on Steam, with a record number of achievements for the platform
- Dungeonmans successfully Kickstartered (and now attempting to be Greenlit)
- Reaching out to people who've never heard of roguelikes
- Greenlight success for Cardinal Quest 2 and WazHack (which has now been released on Steam!)
- Mobile roguelikes! 2013 has had some big hits, including Ending, Hoplite, 868-HACK, Dungeon Plunder, WazHack.
- 7DRL explosion, and looking forward to 7DRL 2014 (8-16 March)
- 2013: The year of the Roguelike-like? Roguelike mechanics are getting combined into wider and wider bases of games. Will 2014 see more hardcore roguelike success?
- UnReal World released for free in 2013! With a deserved big expansion of fanbase.
- Everyone's plans for 2014
- Winners announced for the T-Engine Module contest and the Trials of Oryx contest
- The ASCII Dreams Roguelike of the Year poll, and some of the drama around the top 3. Check out the more interesting list of games with 10-100 votes!
- Roguelikes in the media, especially on Rock, Paper, Shotgun and IndieStatik.
- Upcoming International Roguelike Developers Conference on 9-11 May 2014 in Berlin - sign up!
- Upcoming games: FTL Advanced Edition (a free and meaty expansion to the game), Crypt of the Necrodancer, ToME Steamtech Orcs campaign, Jupiter Hell (spiritual successor to DoomRL)
- Lots of cool procedural games coming up (No Man's Sky, Clockwork Empires, Sir, You Are Being Hunted, Everquest)
- Anything we missed? Comment below!
Join us next time on Roguelike Radio for discussion of Angband, with much of the current devteam joining the show.